It's a new year, and it's time to clear out the fabric clutter -- out with the old and make room for the new! There's no better way to do that than putting your stash and scraps to work. Here's a great pattern for small quantities of fabrics left over from previous quilting projects. Hexagon Flowers are easy-to-stitch coasters and make terrific small gifts for showers, guilds or hostesses. Make everyone you know a set.
Design by Ruth M. Swasey
Coaster Size: 5 1/4" x 6 1/4"
Block Size: 4 3/4" x 5 1/2"
Number of Blocks: 4
Materials for the Set
- Fat quarter each green and floral prints
- 16" x 16" square backing fabric
- 16" x 16" square lightweight batting
- 2 3/4 yards self-made or purchased binding
- Green all-purpose thread
- Basic sewing tools and supplies
- Cut four squares batting 7" x 7" and four squares backing fabric 7" x 7". Cut four 24" pieces prepared bias binding.
- Prepare templates using pattern pieces given. Cut as directed for each coaster as indicated in separate cutting charts.
- Join pieces to make units referring to unit piecing diagram given for each design. Join units to complete blocks referring to the block piecing diagram given for each block.
- Trim backing and batting even with pieced coaster tops.
- Finish coasters referring to cutting charts below
Hexagon Maze Template Cutting Chart
UU -- Cut 3 each green & floral prints
VV -- Cut 3 each green & floral prints
WW -- Cut 1 green print
Hexagon Path Template Cutting Chart
ZZ -- Cut 6 green print
YY -- Cut 6 floral print
Hexagon Pinwheel Template Cutting Chart
XX -- Cut 3 each green & floral prints
Hexagon Star Template Cutting Chart
AAA -- Cut 6 green print
BBB -- Cut 6 floral print
Copyright © 2005 Quick-to-Quilt Coasters, House of White Birches. All rights reserved.